Exiting high school is such an exciting time for young adults!
The Department of Disabilities and Special Needs places a high priority on competitive, integrated employment, community involvement and creating a meaning life for young adults as they begin adulthood. DDSN also understands that many young adults and their families may have questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if I have an open case with SC Department of Disabilities and Special Needs?
- It is very important that those who are eligible have an open case with DDSN in order to access services and supports. To verify or learn about eligibility with DDSN see flyer.
- Verify Eligibility Form (PDF)
What role does DDSN play in helping me with employment?
- There are several agencies responsible for successful transition into employment and community life.
- The attached chart identifies the role of each state agency.
- Transition Roadmap for Young Adults (PDF)
Can DDSN help me request employment services from Vocational Rehabilitation?
- Completing the referral form below, even if you have been working with SC Vocational Rehabilitation Department while in school, allows DDSN to communicate with VR, your school and support system.
- VR Referral and Release of Information (PDF)
What happens after I am successfully working?
- Once you have secured a job and VR has faded away, your DDSN Case Manager can arrange for ongoing job check-ins to assist in maintaining your successful employment.
- State Funded Follow-Along Services (PDF)
Who can assist me from DDSN with this transition?
- DDSN has Post-Secondary Transition Coordinators to assist with this process.
- Rhonda Mumford 803-528-9817
What are other resources that might assist me in this journey?