Information for Agency Partners
1. What is Employment First?
Employment First is a philosophy that SC DDSN supports. It means that employment is the first and prefered option for everyone, regardless of how their disability may impact them in their environment. Check out our flyers: Employment First Information For Young Adults (PDF), and Employment First Information For Parents/Educators/VR Counselors (PDF).
2. State-funded follow-along program:
DDSN believes and research shows that young adults who have employment while they are in school are much more successful. DDSN encourages schools and SC Vocational Rehabilitation Department (SCVRD) to assist all youth to gain job readiness skills and opportunities for community based paid work before graduation. DDSN can provide long-term job supports to help youth maintain their job after high school when services from the school and SCVRD end. The youth's DDSN Case Manager can assist with transition from employment support from SCVRD or the school.
Click link for more information: State Funded Follow Along (PDF).
South Carolina Direct Support Professional Training Program (DSP)
The Direct Support Professional Training program is a State approved program which offers training to candidates that desire to become eligible for certification as a Direct Support Professional (DSP).
Training consists of:
• A minimum of 60 hours of classroom instruction
• 10 hours of documented skill practicum of which eight (8) hours must be on-site practicum hours in a DDSN
qualified provider agency.
Are you excited as we are about the Direct Support Professional (DSP) Training Program?
Please review these resources to learn more about this new, innovative program for high school youth interested in working with people with disabilities!
1. Why is a DSP Training Program Important for South Carolina? Click (coming soon)
2. What is required for the DSP Training Program? View the Training Program Policy Manual: (coming soon)
3. What are the DSP Training Program Curriculum and Standards? View the Standard Here and Curriculum Guide: (coming
Additional questions on the Direct Support Professional Training Program can be directed to: SCDSP@DDSN.SC.GOV
To view the SC Department of Education Approved Industry Credential List for 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 click here (coming soon)